Monday, October 5, 2009

Not taking things for granted . . .

A lot of things recently have made me stop and think. And think hard.

A very dear friend of mine, the very picture of health and fitness spent a week in the hospital with a pulmonary embolism that nearly killed her. A risk of her job, and birth control, yes. But a very scary wake-up call nonetheless. I'm not taking my friends for granted today.

A lovely lady who I've had the privilege of watching perform lost her husband this weekend. He had a heart attack while riding his motorcycle. It was their second wedding anniversary. I'm not taking Scott for granted today.

Two different friends have lost their pet cats this week. To be honest, I'm not a cat person, but the loss of any friend, be they two legged or four legged, is difficult. It's like walking around with a hole in your life. I'm not taking Tolliver for granted today.

I had the chance to meet new friends over the past couple of weeks. People that I knew online, but now have connected with and laughed with in person. I'm not taking opportunities to change and grow for granted today.

I listened to an acquaintance talk about how poorly his parents and family had treated him. I'm not taking my loving, accepting family for granted today.

I've mentioned the Adventurers Club in this blog before. It's been closed for a year now, but we've gotten word that they've begun to strip it bare in preparation for demolition. I'm not taking good times and laughter for granted today.

I've got several friends who have become unemployed recently. I'm not taking my job for granted today.

I've had a lot of medical tests and dental issues lately. Things are fine, but I'm not taking my health for granted today.

Life is funny. Sometimes it takes some really crappy news to make you realize how lucky you are.

I am. And I promise myself that I'm going to remember that I am.

Sorry that this blog post is such a downer today. But it's where my head is at right now.

I promise I'll try and be witty and amusing on the next one.

For now, it's time for bed. Tomorrow is another day . . .

. . . and, I'm not going to take it for granted.

3 comments:

  1. Honestly, your post isn't a downer. It's thoughtful and inspirational and heartfelt.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What Fran said. Thanks. Doug

    ReplyDelete
  3. What they said...
    ~Jenn Rego

    ReplyDelete