Monday, September 14, 2009

Why "An Accidental Accountant"?

Okay, here goes. New blog. First post.

What the heck is an "Accidental Accountant"? That's what you're wondering, right? How does one accidentally start checking figures and creating spreadsheets?

Heck if I know.

I never planned on becoming an accountant. I spent five great years at a university studying something really USEFUL! That's right! I have a degree in Theatre Arts! (notice that the "e" comes after the "r" in "theatre". It's more useful that way!)

Starting with my first job in high school, I worked in the hospitality industry. I was a busboy back then, but in college I moved behind the front desk, and worked as the guy who tells you that the hotel has lost your reservation. After college, I continued with the front office, then moved on to work in sales and catering, and then back to the front desk as an assistant manager (he's the one that tells you that yelling at the front desk clerk about your lost reservation isn't going to help you get a room.) During all of this, I continued to do theatre with a small non-profit company in West Texas.

And then one day, a position opened up in the accounting office at the hotel where I was working. I talked to the controller (that's the manager of accounting, he doesn't really have much control, he just likes to think he does) and I was in! Woo hoo! No more weekends! No more night shifts! And shortly thereafter, no more theatre. It's not easy running a small not-for profit theatre company in West Texas. And we forced to shut our doors. (that's the short version. The long version bores even me.)

So my "day job" became my career. I moved to Dallas. Continued working in the hospitality field in accounting jobs. Switched over to a technology company that was a vendor for hotels for a while; and then (upon meeting the love of my life) uprooted my life and moved to Central Florida where I ended up back in the hospitality field . . . behind an accountant's desk.

It's been an interesting journey. And while, it's certainly not the plan I had for my life up to this point, it's led me to a good place. So no regrets.

And now you get to hear my insane ramblings about what life is like for an "Accidental Accountant".

Aren't you lucky?

Don't answer that . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment