Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Things I learned from my mother . . .

My Mom's memorial service was this morning. After a hellish week, we finally had an opportunity to say goodbye. But I couldn't. I didn't cry. I wasn't able to. The speakers were very moving, and I'm happy to know that my Mom touched so many people in so many wonderful ways. I got a little teary-eyed at times, but no more than I would have if I'd been sitting next to my mother at a party in her honor and held her hand while people said nice things about her.

But I sat there feeling a bit detached. I was very worried about my Dad, and my brother and sister. And Scott. I'm not sure if it just isn't real to me yet, or if this is all too much to process, so my mind shut down the emotions so I could get through it. Scott cried more than I did. Which isn't surprising. He loves her as much as she loved him, which is to say, quite a lot.

Whatever, I couldn't cry. It'll come in time. I know that.

In the meantime, as a bit of a tribute, I'm going to share some of the things that I learned from her.

So here it is: The Things I learned from My Mother . . .

"Eat something, Baby, it'll make you feel better"

Don't feel good? Drink some water . . . or have some protein . . . or try and have a bowel movement.

Read. Reading is fun.

Nothing is as important as family.

It's okay to cry. Tears lubricate the soul.

"The more you cry, the less you have to pee"

Sometimes the only appropriate response to a situation is "Well, SHIT!"

Love shared, is love multiplied.

Sorrow shared, is sorrow divided.

Don't worry about what other people think. Be yourself and do what makes you happy.

Don't regret the mistakes and pains of your past; they helped to bring you to where you are now, and who you are now. Sometimes we have to go through the shitty stuff to make it to the happily ever after.

Never miss the opportunity to try new foods. You might find a new favorite. If not, you'll at least get a good story to tell later.

See as much of the world, and learn about how other people live as you can.

Throw the words "in-law" out of your vocabulary. They're not needed. Family is family, and we're happy when it grows.

Never miss the chance to smile, laugh, and enjoy time with the ones you love. Embrace the moments you have with each other and cherish the memories forever.

Say "I love you" to each other frequently. End every conversation with it, that way you know that when the "last time" comes, you've said it, and they know it in their hearts. There are fewer regrets later that way.

1 comment:

  1. What an amazing and beautiful collection, Rob! Thank you for sharing. I'm integrating some/most of them into my philosophy. The "Well SHIT" one I already have!

    ReplyDelete