Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Books, Number Five

Rolling right along with the Top Ten. From here on out, I'm only going to do one book per post, so the blog titles jump from "Part Three" to "Number Five". I'm trusting you to all make the leap, and not let this confuse you. Please don't disappoint me by asking, "where's four?". LOL

Number Five: First Among Equals by Jeffery Archer

I'm a big fan of Jeffery Archer's novels, and re-read several of them from time to time. Of all of his novels, this one about three men (or four men, depending on which version you've got your hands on) with ambitions to be Prime Minister of Great Britain is my favorite. I love the inside look at British politics (Archer was himself a Member of Parliament) and the main characters are very well drawn, leading to some fantastic plot twists. As good as Archer's other works (such as As the Crow Flies, The Prodigal Daughter, or A Matter of Honor) are, this one is just slightly a cut above them, so it lands on this list. The original version of this book, published in the U.K. with four men from three political parties vying for Prime Minister; was edited for American audiences; released as the "American Version" and has only three main characters, and two political parties. I've read both, and for the life of me can't decide which version I like better. Either way, it's one of my favorites, and I've read both versions over and over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment