Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Books, Number One

Number One: Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert Heinlein

This is it. And while I said that the rankings on this "Top Ten" varies with my mood, this one is always on the top of the list. It is without a doubt the best book I've ever read, and my absolute favorite. While I learned valuable life lessons from Herbert's Dune, Stranger in a Strange Land changed the way I think; about life, about religion, about politics, about human nature, about everything. Perhaps it's because I was introduced to Heinlein as I began college and was young and idealistic, and this book appealed to my broadening horizons, but I think that in addition to that, this book really does encourage acceptance of other points of view. The story of Michael Valentine Smith, the Man from Mars, as he learns what it is to be a human, is an amazing and ultimately emotionally gut wrenching tale. Beautifully crafted and engaging, this one is another that I think should be required reading for high schoolers everywhere. Most importantly, however, this is the book that introduced me to Heinlein's work. I freely admit to being an avid Heinlein fan, having read all of his published fiction and several of his essays. I could easily have done a list of "Top Ten Heinlein" novels and had a difficult time narrowing it down to just ten titles. The man was a genius and undisputed Grand Master of Science Fiction.


This book is both of it's time (it was published in 1961) and decades ahead of it's time. Hell, it this book had been written today, it would STILL be decades ahead of it's time. Truly a magnificent piece of literature.


So there it is. My top ten list (plus some close runners up), culminating in the best book I've ever read.


What do you think? How does it measure up to your top ten list? What books to we have in common? What books did I exclude that you'd have listed instead?

3 comments:

  1. These are some major ones! I've been thinking about this since you started this project, and I can't narrow it down to ten. But I do know that Morris West's "The Clowns of God" and Daniel Woodrell's "Winter's Bone" would be on the list.

    Thanks for doing this! Now. . .top 10 movies? Plays?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am thinking of doing top ten theatrical experiences . . . or top ten fictional characters. We'll see

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool!

    Heh, you could also add the top ten theatrical nightmares!

    ReplyDelete