Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Books, Number Two

Getting down to the wire . . . I think this one will surprise some people.

Number Two: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling


I'm guessing that there are several of my friends who expected the book representing the Harry Potter series to be listed in first place. It was tough choosing just one book in Rowling's magnificent Harry Potter saga, but ultimately I chose the final installment because it brings the series to such a satisfactory conclusion. This one was a tough read because I was so torn between wanting to find out what happens next and not wanting to finish the series and be forced to leave Harry's world and return to the world of the muggles. This imaginative, vivid, and exciting adventure has brought me hours and hours of joy, and I have no doubt it will be hailed as a classic for decades to come. I pity any adults that have dismissed this series as "children's books" because J.K. Rowling has spun a very sophisticated tale that appeals as much to adults as it does to children.

Honestly, this one isn't the number one book on my list, because I simply can't single out one book in the series that is better than the others. It's one beautiful epic. Plus no single book in this series affected me in the way that the number one book does. Not that these books, with their message that the magic of love and friendship are powerful enough to defeat the evils of prejudice and greed don't affect me deeply. They do; just not as much as the last book on my list.

Not including my mom (who already knows) any guesses as to what the last book on the list is?

1 comment:

  1. No clue, but I can't wait to find out! This has been fun!

    ReplyDelete