Monday, August 9, 2010

Books, Part Three

Rob's Top Ten Books continues with

Number Seven: Angels and Demons by Dan Brown
I picked this one up immediately after reading and loving The DaVinci Code, and thought this one was SO much better. One of the more recent on my list, I've still read it multiple times. It evokes it's locale beautifully and makes me want to return to Rome. Meticulously researched, with a fast moving plot, this one is really hard to put down. I really loved the back story on the Catholic Church and how they had suppressed knowledge over the centuries to maintain power, but honestly the gripping story is the best thing about this one.


Number Six: Tales of the City by Armistead Maupin
I'd almost put the entire Tales of the City series on this list, including his latest Michael Tolliver Lives; but I promised to list only one book per author, so I'll list this gateway into the wonderful world of 28 Barbary Lane. This series is very character driven, and the characters are amazing. I'd argue that the character of Michael Tolliver is among the best characters in the world of gay literature, and his journey through the seven books is moving, amusing, and life affirming. Our much-loved and very spoiled dachshund, Tolliver, is named after him.

Well, that's the first five down. Any guesses as to which books will show up listed among the other five?


No comments:

Post a Comment